Hullfire online dating
Hullfire online dating - Voice video chat sex online
It led to Busdike near Beverley Gate, which itself connected with the town ditch. In the mean time, a new company—the Sutton, Southcoates, and Drypool Gas Company—was established in 1847 to supply the east parts of the town, (fn. 84) it had already supplied Sutton, Stoneferry, Southcoates, Drypool, and part of Garrison Side, (fn. In that year aldermen and their deputies, and all former office-holders, were ordered to see that candle-lanterns were provided from 6 p.m. contracted to light the streets of Myton and Sculcoates, (fn. 170) which also named the places to be cleansed by the corporation. 171) In 1762 the corporation was authorized to collect rates to pay scavengers who would cleanse the streets once a week. 172) When assessors were appointed in 1764 to raise the money, cleansing was ordered to be twiceweekly from 1 October to 1 May. 173) The assessors received, apart from the rates, £28 a year from the corporation and £12 from the market-keeper, the Acts having stipulated that the rates should not be used for streets customarily cleansed by the corporation; a place outside North Gate and the 'foul' South End were agreed upon for dumping grounds. 174) In 18 respectively the newlyappointed commissioners for Sculcoates and for Hull and Myton assumed responsibility for cleansing. There were then 74,000 working telephones, and the area served covered 120 sq. Telephone House, built in 1961–3, consists of three blocks, of three, four, and five stories. 347) The ground floor of the four-story Carr Lane block contains a series of shop units, as well as the public entrances to the building. A deaf and dumb institution existed in High Street from 1853 to 1866. 425) The Hull, East Yorkshire, and Lincolnshire Institution for the Deaf and Dumb was founded, in Spring Bank, in 1870; there were 18 boarders in 1889. 426) A new building was erected in Spring Bank and opened in 1926. 437) founded its Sailors' Orphan Society about 1855. Until the mid19th century the cleansing of the dikes was to be a constant concern of the corporation. 10) The idea of replacing the open dike by a covered conduit was already in the air in 1438, when Joan Gregg bequeathed £20 for the purpose provided the work was done within two years. 11) When the county of Hull was extended in 1447 both Derringham Well and Derringham Dike were taken into it, and at the same time the town was licensed to acquire springs and to convey water from them 'by subterranean leaden pipes and other necessary and suitable engines ()'. 12) In 1449 North Ferriby Priory gave permission for pipes to be laid on its land between Springhead and Hull, (fn. 16) until 1461, when the lead was ordered to be dug up and sold; in 1463 an obit for Holme was founded by the corporation in restitution for the sale of lead that he had given. 17) The conduit had run within the town walls, for the lead in Whitefriargate was ordered to be taken up in 1467. 18) With the return to the system of open dikes, special attention had to be given in 1462 to the condition of Busdike. 19) Hull's rights in part of the area added to the county of the town in 1447 were disputed by Haltemprice Priory in the early 16th century. 29) In 1655 Sir John Barrington complained that the corporation had for long disputed the rent due to him for Derringham Well. 82) taking over works in Sitwell Street which are said to have been started the previous year by John Malam. 85) and it was then empowered to supply the rest of Garrison Side, and also Marfleet. to 9 p.m., 'not being moon shine night', from 22 November until 1 March. 126) The order was reaffirmed in 16, and revived in 1629. 127) The hanging out of lanterns is mentioned again in 16, but the failure of householders to do so led to a suggestion in 1682 that public lights should be provided: it was thought best, however, to wait and see what happened in London, where this was also under consideration. 128) In 1699, after having been long neglected, the old order was again reaffirmed. 129) Lights for the streets—presumably oil-lamps— were in 1713 ordered to be obtained in London; (fn. 132) declared that there were no public lights and sought only to prevent damage to those about to be provided by householders, but in the same year the corporation gave £60 towards a subscription for lighting the streets. 133) In 1762 the corporation was itself authorized to set up lights, (fn. 146) and the east side of the River Hull was lit by the K. In Hull and Myton their scavengers were to cleanse the streets twice a week. 175) In Hull, however, the assessors were to continue raising the rates, and it seems that they in fact also continued to supervise the work. 176) Their appointment, for the Old Town, carried full responsibility once more after 1840. 177) The corporation then agreed to pay them £35 a year for the places usually cleansed at the town's expense, and they were to have all streets cleansed three times a week. 344) The corporation was licensed in 1902 to provide a telephone service, and in 1904 it opened an exchange in the former bath premises in Trippett Street. The reinforced framework is exposed, and there are panels of green slate below the window sills, as well as buff-brickwork panels extending through the upper floors. 'Lincolnshire' was dropped from the name some time after 1930 and 'Dumb' in 1957. The corporation Welfare Services Committee (established in 1948) has provided old people's homes in various parts of the city, under the general title of 'The Kingston Homes'. The Hull Temporary Home for Fallen Women was opened in Nile Street in 1861, and enlarged in 1864 to accommodate about 50 women. 429) In 1900 Alfred Mayfield gave a house in Evans Square for the home and it remained there until 1939, when it was closed for lack of funds. The Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction of Seamen, founded in 1821, established an orphan institution in 1838. The Hull Seamen's and General Orphan Asylum was built in Spring Bank in 1865–6, largely at the cost of John Torr, of Liverpool.
Also in 1887 a volunteer brigade was formed but it lasted only until 1891. 255) The recruitment of a professional brigade began in 1938, and it became part of the National Fire Service in 1941. 359) and in 1893 the Hull and East Riding Convalescent Home was opened at Withernsea in a former hotel given to the infirmary by Francis and Sir James Reckitt. 360) Between 19 further additions, designed by Thomas Worthington & Son, were made to the infirmary buildings. 366) They were badly damaged during the air raids of 1941 but subsequently restored, and in 1948 there were 252 beds. 367) In 1963 there were 149 beds there and 208 at Sutton. 368) The Chaplain's Trust Fund was established in 1867 for meeting the expenses of Church of England clergy visiting the sick poor. A dispensary for the poor was established in High Street in 1814. A convalescent home was begun in a house at Hornsea in 1885. Musgrave, was opened in Park Street, accommodating 54 patients. The Hull, East Riding, and North Lincolnshire Orthopaedic Hospital was opened in Wright Street in 1887.
A central projection on the south front has battered side walls and a crowning pediment. 75) In 1821 the corporation had bought ten shares in the K. The low-lying nature of most of the area involved the daily storage of sewage in the sewers while the outfalls were tide-locked. A new central station, without such living quarters, was built near by in Alfred Gelder Street in 1904. And labourers and soldiers continued to be rewarded for their help at fires. 247) Responsibility for providing fire-engines was given to the Sculcoates commissioners in 1801 and to the Hull and Myton commissioners in 1810. 248) Engines were certainly provided in Sculcoates, (fn. employed 30 tramcars and 140 horses on its lines, and the D. Two attached columns were added to the recessed bays, and four antae to the end projecting bays. 354) The government of the infirmary was reorganized in 1861 when the unwieldy weekly board was replaced by a new board of eighteen laymen and the six honorary medical staff. The new building remained a private asylum until 1849, when it was taken over by the corporation as the borough asylum for paupers.
At first-floor level is a circular window and below it a panel bearing the city arms. Towards the end of the century, however, engines were installed to enable discharge to take place during high tides. 218) serving both the Dairycoates and Newington outfalls. laid a main sewer in or soon after 1895 to serve Anlaby, Hessle, Kirk Ella, and Willerby. 222) It also served parts of west Hull, and a section of the sewer, including the outfall, later lay within the extended city boundary. The trunk sewers were also designed to intercept some of the agricultural drains near the city boundary so that these could be abandoned and filled in. 224) Extensive works were also begun in east Hull after the Second World War. 249) but the corporation's equipment may have served Myton. 269) but it does not seem to have done so; in 1892 it was in fact empowered to sell part of its own track to the corporation and abandon the rest, (fn. First-floor windows were given architraves and cornices, and second-floor windows were framed with architraves. Finally, Lockwood added new, recessed, north and south wings, without an applied order. The same year the Working Men's Committee was formed to contribute to hospital funds. 355) The next extensions to the hospital took place in 1873. The existing building was divided into three, linked by bridges, by the removal of the two end bays of the central block; the latter is the most important part of the earlier building to survive.
95) and in 1893 a generating station was opened in Dagger Lane to supply the Old Town; later that year the supply was extended to an area west of the Old Town. 96) The undertaking began with 33 consumers but by the end of 1894 there were 271.
The lights proved unreliable, however, and they were discontinued in 1884. 94) In 1890 the corporation was itself empowered to make and supply electricity, (fn.
immediately came under the control of the North Eastern Gas Board, and the B. Both Hull works were retained and by 1960 they were supplying Beverley, Brough, Hessle, Howden, Market Weighton, and Pocklington. 91) The gas offices used after 1948 were those of the B. The new works allowed power to be supplied to an extended area west of the Old Town and for the first time to the east side of the River Hull. 98) The power station has been extended on some ten occasions in the 20th century (fn. On several occasions since then the Sculcoates supply has been supplemented from the electricity grid. 104) In 1933 offices in Ferensway were built to replace those at the power station, (fn.
was transferred to this board in 1951 after a period under the Eastern Gas Board. In 1898, when there were 960 consumers, a new generating station was built in Sculcoates Lane. 97) A temporary station in North Street had been used during the winter of 1897–8. Yorkshire Light and Power Company, which supplied a large part of the East Riding. 102) The Central Electricity Board also took supplies from the Hull station: in 1939, for example, almost one quarter of the units generated was used in this way. 103) The whole of Hull's supply area came under the Yorkshire Electricity Board after nationalization in 1948.
Complaints of a lack of water were received in 1770 and the corporation decided in 1772 to let the works. In 1460, for example, all householders were ordered to provide a man to work at the Mamhole. 191) On other occasions propertyowners, besides the town council, may have contributed to the cost; this may have been the case in 1482 when sewers 188½ 'cords' in length were ordered to be cleansed by three men on behalf of the town, the Duke of Suffolk, and various other individuals. 192) By the 16th century, if not earlier, at least some occupiers had a responsibility to cleanse adjoining sewers: a lease of ground near and over a sewer at the South End in 1596, for example, carried a duty to cleanse the sewer and fence it off from the street. 193) In 1579 it was ordered that only clean water should be allowed into the streets, and in the following year householders with 'gulleys' to carry water from their houses were instructed to make 'grates' in the street. 194) In the 16th century gutters are mentioned alongside Market Place and Whitefriargate, (fn. 297) and opened its cemetery in Spring Bank in the following year. 298) The company was incorporated in 1854 and given powers to extend the cemetery. 299) In accordance with an agreement reached in 1859, the company set off 5 a. The local board ground, Western Cemetery, was extended by the acquisition in 1886, and opening in 1889, of 27 a. 304) and on part of this extension a crematorium was built and opened in 1901. Although extensively used, the baths were distant from the town and in 1850 the corporation built new ones in Trippett Street, designed by David Thorp. 316) and the building was later used as a telephone exchange. The 31-acre West Park, in Anlaby Road, was opened in 1885, and East Park, comprising 42 a. Above it are two end pavilions flanking an Ionic colonnade of seven bays. 340) A further five bays to the west and an arched opening are later work. This eventually accommodated 60–70 beds, though it was about 30 years before the whole building was complete; the cost was nearly £4,700. His son, later Sir James Alderson, held the post from 1829 to 1844. 350) In 1811 two wards were used for patients transferred from the female penitentiary. 409) Its work was eventually taken over by the new City Hospital. 411) was built in 1866; it then had 21 beds but in 1881 it was enlarged to contain 46 beds. 412) It was replaced by the Evan Fraser Hospital in 1899. A sanatorium at Walkington was established in 1919.
In 1773 Mayson Wright took them for 21 years at a rent of £250 a year. 39) Wright is said to have installed a steam engine straight away, (fn. People in Sculcoates were allowed in 1790 to cut a channel from Spring Ditch and to take water one day a week. 44) Pipes were laid to Wright Street, Jarratt Street, and Savile Street, for example, at the inhabitants' expense and under the supervision first of the waterworks lessee and then, after 1794, of the clerk or manager of the waterworks. 45) The clerk was given an initial salary of £80, but this was raised to £120 in 1801 and £200 in 1824. 46) In 1792 the number of people paying water rates was said to be more than double that of fifteen years previously. 47) Improvements to the waterworks included the purchase of a new engine, which was being considered in 1794, and the laying of an additional elm-tree main to High Street in 1795. 61) In 1893, shortly after it had been authorized to build additional works at Dunswell, the company was taken over by the corporation at a cost of £100,000 and its works closed. 62) In the mean time the corporation had in 1883 extended its area of supply to Anlaby, Kirk Ella, Willerby, and Hessle. 63) gave authority for works to be built on Mill Dam stream, at Cottingham, and these were opened in 1890. 66) The rural districts of Skirlaugh and Patrington were brought within Hull's supply area in 1911 and authority was then given for additional works to be built at Dunswell; these were not opened until 1931. 67) The supply area was extended to the parishes of Preston and Sutton Without in 1924, and to parts of Beverley and Sculcoates Rural Districts in 1926. 68) Powers were granted in 1930 for Hull to construct waterworks at Kelleythorpe, near Driffield, but the scheme was abandoned. 195) but they probably already existed in other streets as they certainly did in the early 17th century. 196) Some smaller streets were unpaved and gutterless until later in the century: these improvements were being considered for Bowlalley Lane, for example, in 1690. 197) The sewers frequently attracted the corporation's attention in the second quarter of the 17th century, (fn. at the west end of the cemetery for the use of the local board of health, and in 1862 the board bought this land. 300) In 1866 the whole cemetery covered about 20 a. These included individual baths for men and women, vapour baths, a women's plunge bath, a men's swimming bath, and a laundry. The building, which still stands, is nine bays long and incorporates red and cream brick as well as stone. 317) The centre and two end bays break forward and contain the entrances. Pearson, bought and presented to the local board 27 a. First-floor windows are framed by Ionic pilasters and alternating triangular and segmental pediments. A telegraph service in Hull was first operated by a private company, and an office was situated in the corn exchange. The Hull General Infirmary, as it was then called, was governed by a weekly board comprising the trustees, i.e. Clinical lectures by the staff were said in 1821 to have been lately established, and in 1831 the Hull and East Riding School of Anatomy and Medicine was opened. 351) The design for the building of 1784 was chosen by competition and was by George Pycock, of Hull. 352) His design differed little from that of the Manchester Infirmary, built thirty years earlier. Cases of infectious diseases occurring on board ship were at this period confined in a converted hulk moored in the Humber. It did not become part of the National Health Service in 1948, when there were 24 beds, and it was closed in 1953.
93) to supply electric lighting in certain streets in the Old Town, and these were lit—by a private company —late in 1882.
A steam fire-engine had been bought two years earlier. The line on Beverley Road was opened early in 1875; that on Spring Bank late in 1876; that on Hessle Road early in 1877; and those on Holderness Road, on Anlaby Road, and through the Old Town to Victoria Pier by August 1877. 267) Steam trams were introduced by the Drypool and Marfleet Steam Tramway Company, which was authorized in 1886 to build a single-track line along Hedon Road and two short stretches in Drypool. 358) after a separate fever hospital had been built (see City Hospital). 371) and in that year the corporation began to make an annual contribution to its funds. 372) Until 1865 medical staff gave their services; then they were paid and the town was divided, for visiting purposes, between three surgeons. 373) In 1887 the dispensary moved to a new building in Baker Street, and it was still there in 1947. 374) It continued independently of the National Health Service until 1957 when its assets were converted into the Hull and Sculcoates Dispensary Aid Trust, to provide help for the sick poor. 375) Under the National Health Service the Baker Street building accommodates a mass radiography unit. In 1873 a hospital for sick poor children, with 30 beds, was opened in a house in Story Street. The Beverley Road Institution (formerly the Sculcoates workhouse) was, after 1948, renamed the Kingston General Hospital. 385) Able-bodied old people were no longer accommodated after 1955, as a result of the provision by the corporation of the Kingston Homes in various parts of the city. 386) Extensive reconstruction of the hospital buildings has since taken place. The ward block has an exposed reinforced concrete framework on its long elevations, with projecting vertical members rising through the full height of the building; the end walls are plain. After the City Hospital moved to Cottingham, its buildings on Hedon Road were in 1929 converted for use as a maternity hospital. In 1926 this service took over the responsibilities of an old-established institution, the Lying-in Charity. 396) This had been founded in 1802 to provide food, clothing, and attention during the confinement of poor married women, and it was supported by voluntary subscription.
The collection of tolls to meet the cost of street paving in Hull was first authorized in 1300; seven further pavage grants were made by the Crown, the last expiring in 1370. 106) For a period after 1370, however, money raised from tolls was still described by the chamberlains as pavage and murage, (fn. G., and in 1919 only a third of the total mileage of the city's streets had electric mains.